My daughter's Acer is falling apart. (And it's not even the Acer I referred to in the prior post). I've got it held together with duct tape, necessary after the cat jumped on it and tweaked the hinge and display frame.
Visualize -- over here, we have printers, scanners, etc. And over here, we have a laptop tethered to cellular. How to merge them into one usable stack?
So, I noticed that my owncloud server was not, in fact, actually running. Inconvenient.
Every time I reinstall software I have issues with gscan2pdf, which I use quite a bit. Except, of course, when I can't get it to install, when I therefore use a bash script I wrote as a frontend to Sane.
However, OpenSUSE no longer contains the SANE "frontend" package in its normal repositories. (scanadf and the like). I have to find them in the Build system from a user. Why this is, I do not know ... what are corporate SUSE user-types using for scanning to PDFs?
Sometime I installed Simple Scan, which it turns out will in fact scan to pdf. However, it crashes and the interface is not intuitive -- it seems that the "preferences" for the scanner must be re-set each time the program is restarted -- very annoying when combined with repeated crashes. The "pdf" selection is in the lower left of the save panel, I originally did not find it.
I am at the present moment trying to build an rpm via "checkinstall" from gscan2pdf sources. Well, I did in fact build and install it, but it won't run because it didn't call the necessary pre-requisites. However, I re-ran perl Makefile.pl and got a list of the missing perl modules and then installed them via YAST (having previously added the perl development repository). They are installing now, so we will see ...
[Later ... Well, this almost worked except for that somewhat important aspect of being able to actually save the scan. Gscan2pdf reports I need "libtiff" to save, but libtiff is installed, so I don't know what the issue is here, other than "software don't work" ... It was very tedious to install in any event, since there were a lot of perl dependencies to install and then some other ones, such as unpaper, djdvulibre, gocr, etc. So, to discover these, I would run Makefile.PL until that was successful, and then run gscan2pdf from a command line until I had installed the dependencies it complained about until finally the whole thing would run. Except, however, for the unresolved "libtiff" complaint.]
[Later, later: It took me forever to figure this out, but the missing dependency was "tiff", installed via yast. I knew I had libtiff and I was thinking there was a path issue, then I was looking for libtiff-tools (listed in the gscan2pdf help/dependencies) and then finally I stumbled across "tiff". So, it works now.]
I also found a couple of other projects that have current builds at SourceForge - scan2pdf and Scan2PDF and NAPS, but I haven't tried them yet. (NAPS requires .NetFramework 2.0). Scan2PDF is apparently windows only, as I would assume NAPS, but don't know. In any event, scan2pdf is apparently in python, it offers three files ending .py. I set them to execute and when I run them I get a screen capture that creates a pdf file from the capture box under the cursor. I don't know if this is just how far the project has gotten? I don't know anything about python or whether I have the necessary dependencies installed, the code seems to properly refer to scanning images or whatever ...
And so, the frustration continues, but I did get my little bash file frontend working, so whatever.
I have found the remmina remote system to work best. The rdp connector successfully redirects all of my printers, which I was not able to implement with rdesktop. But, OTOH, I couldn't find the disk redirects (and no one else seemed to be able to either). I tried several times from command line xfreerdp, but no luck -- although again, I was looking in the wrong place. (Addressing Windows Server 2003).
rdesktop connection show up as network redirects such as, "tsclientr on the EntireNetwork \\tsclient\r".
It turns out the remmina connection shows up in Network>EntireNetwork>Microsoft Terminal Services>\\tsclient>[folder]. The folder is \\tsclient\[whatever folder you specified in remmina].
Works fine, but hard to find in the first place.